Saturday, January 18, 2014

Radiohead... Have to Mention At Least Something About These Guys...


I've been so inspired by these guys.  Kid A was the first album that won me over.  After that it was just going through their other recordings and enjoying tracks here and there.  Out of nowhere came In Rainbows and then it felt like I became a fan all over again.

I'm not sure what to say to people when they ask me about what I like about Radiohead.  I think they (Radiohead) represent permission, freedom, and creative possibility to me personally.


Thom can sing sounds that communicate words while shaking and emulating reverb, Jonny can kick his guitar across the stage causing rhythmic feedback that makes right sense, Colin can lay down the perfect bass foundation by simply playing the same note complexly with the right feel, Ed can create landscapes of sound that you never knew could come out of a guitar, and Phil can hold everything together like a silent perfect human metronome in a raw and organic way walking the careful edge of not becoming rigid and plastic.  Everything that these musicians do is unconventional and appropriately so.  


It makes me dream about the freedom I can walk in myself - maybe about the person in me that I haven't discovered yet or have seen come out.  It makes me think about song structure, chord family arrangements, and time signatures.  It makes me think about sonic textures and painting with sound.  All in all, my experience with Radiohead makes me think beyond whatever I've settled for as an artist.  It pushes me, amazes me, and inspires me.


No comments:

Post a Comment